The High Breaks at Summervale!
This week at Summervale we will have Burlington’s instrumental surf rock trio, The High Breaks, taking the stage. With Matt Hagen on guitar, Todd Gevry on drums and Kevin Lynam on bass, the group seeks to meld a traditional surf tone into an accessible instrumental story-- bringing the listener a sensation of being elsewhere. Their sharp and savvy execution helps “facilitate a cinematic vibe that will make you feel as if you are in a Quentin Tarantino film while having your feet in the sand.” What better way to celebrate Summer than with some beachy surf tunes!
Here is a brief interview with The High Breaks guitarist, Matt Hagan:
1. How long have you been playing together? How did this project start?
We've ALWAYS played together, otherwise before and after that we'd be playing separately and in that case it wouldn't be The High Breaks. The project started by us attempting to spoon feed music and executing it to our liking.
2. What is your songwriting process like?
Our songwriting process is like when you have to pick between 2 closed hands in order to find which one has the porous red ball. One hand has it, the other one doesn't.
3. What influences your music? What kind of inspiration do you draw from living in the Burlington area?
4. Describe your sound in 3 words:
left right left
5. Who influences your music? What artists inspire you?
Fictional characters not yet known. Gary Larsen.
6. Why are you excited about performing at Summervale?
Because Wintervale is too cold.