Join Our Team
The Intervale Conservation Nursery, Intervale Gleaning & Food Rescue and our summer community event Summervale wouldn’t be the same without volunteers. We also rely on volunteers around the office, the web, trails and in our gardens.
Volunteering at the Intervale Center is easy:
First, fill out our Volunteer Information Form (required)
Visit Wildfire to sign up for upcoming volunteer shifts. If you sign up for our volunteer newsletter (below), we will also be in touch by email about new opportunities as they come available!
Email Carolyn Zeller at email@example.com with any questions!
At the Intervale Center, we provide meaningful, fun, and well-organized volunteer opportunities that allow groups to engage in their community food system in tangible ways. Your volunteer time will:
Improve food access by gleaning and distributing fresh vegetables
Keep the one-and-only Intervale maintained for free public use
Improve Vermont and Lake Champlain’s water quality by tending to native tree stock
Celebrate Vermont’s vibrant food system
Volunteer activities are led by knowledgeable, experienced program staff that orient and support each volunteer group throughout the day.
To set up a volunteer opportunity or for more information, contact:
Check out our job openings, internship opportunities, and work-study positions below. Interested in hands-on farm work? Please visit our list of farms to contact an Intervale farm directly.
We’re sorry but there are no openings at this time.
We’re sorry but there are no openings at this time.
plan a visit
The Intervale is open to the public 365 days a year. Stop by the information kiosk at the Intervale Center’s offices to orient yourself and enjoy hiking, skiing or bike riding in the Intervale (be sure to lock up your valuables!). If you are interested in visiting farms in the Intervale, you can contact them directly here. Click here for a trail map and get ski conditions here!
Join us at the Intervale Center to learn about the Intervale’s rich agricultural history and innovative programs and visit the Intervale Conservation Nursery greenhouses, the Intervale Food Hub barn, and the Intervale farmer complex. Public tours provide a general overview of our programs, are geared towards the Burlington community, and are subject to scheduling changes. If you are traveling to Burlington for a tour or have more specific questions or needs, please choose a private tour. Public tours are free and open to the community and last about an hour.
Free public tours take place at 10 AM on the 4th Friday of the month from April – October (2018 dates: April 27, May 25, June 22, July 27, August 24, September 28, and October 26). Meet at the Intervale Center offices (the red brick building on the right-hand side of Intervale Road, just past Gardener’s Supply Co.) Advance reservations required. For more information or to RSVP, contact Carolyn Zeller at firstname.lastname@example.org.
COnsulting & Private Tours
Each year, we work with groups from around the world who want to learn about and replicate the Intervale Center’s work to the benefit of community food systems everywhere. We offer our expertise to help individuals, organizations and communities in the following ways:
- Basic Tour: One-hour guided tours take guests through our historic farmstead to our greenhouse complex and farmer barn. Along the way, we share the history and evolution of Intervale Center work, with special emphasis on current programs. Cost is $100 for up to 15 people and $200 for up to 30 people.
- Basic+ Tour: Spend two hours with Intervale Center staff getting a basic tour plus a deeper dive into our programmatic work, which can be catered to specific interests. Cost is $200 for up to 15 people for a two hour tour.
- Phone consultation: We are happy to spend 15-20 minutes talking to you about our work free of charge. Beyond that, we offer phone consultation at an hourly rate of $50/hour.
- Half Day Session - Program Specific Consultation: We offer one-on-one support to help you develop and implement your own food systems programming through a half-day on-site consulting session that includes a tour, deep dive and consulting with program staff for $400.
- Extended sessions at the Intervale Center: If you’re looking for a more immersive experience, Intervale Center staff will spend a day with your organization. An eight-hour day includes an in-depth discussion with our Executive Director, presentations by program staff, an extended tour and meetings with farmers. Pricing available upon request.
- Speaking engagements and support at your site: We travel nationally and internationally to share the Intervale Center story and support your efforts on the ground where you are. These visits are customized by client, and we will work with you to put together a program that fits your needs. Pricing available upon request.
Please fill out an inquiry form to start setting up your tour or consultation with the Intervale Center. Minimum two weeks advance notice required for all on-site tours. Contact Carolyn Zeller at 802-660-0440 x101 with questions about extended sessions or speaking engagements.